So, you have decided on a beach vacation- cheers to sunkissed hair, salty tan skin, flip flops, Sandy feet, swimming, sun bathing, lots of beer and music. Who doesn’t dream of a beach vacation to kick back and relax? Gorgeous sea and long stretches of sand on one hand and the shacks for food, fun and music along with buzzing night life on the other hand. However, some amount of preparation is required to make sure that your beach holidays leaves you happy with cherished memories.
Things to carry for a beach vacation
- Wet Wipes, sanitizer, liquid soap, toothpaste+toothbrush+tongue cleaner, floss, nail cutter, shaving kit
- Prescribed medication for yourself and your family (if at all).Carry prescriptions for sure. First aid kit including gas relief tablets, antihistamines for allergies, thermometer, non aspirin pain reliever, antaacid, anti vomiting tablets, insect repellents and whatever specific medication you often use for your children, if at all.
- Comb, Deodorants, Face cream, Body lotion
Essentials for any travel
- Money, tickets & print outs, mobile and its charger,Maps etc
- Books if you love reading and I pod for music.
Beach Specific needs
- Sun hats/caps
- Beach slip-ons/Flip flops
- Beach wear/Swimming costume/Sarong
- Beach Umbrella
- Camera + battery+memory stick + other leses & accessories that you use
- Beach bag
- Swimming Float Equipments if required for children
- Hair dryer and breach towels if not provided at your place of stay.
- Light colored, soft cotton clothing – T-Shirts,Shorts, Frocks
- Some Healthy snacks especially for children
- Mat or a sheet to sit on the beach for lets say picnic or sun bathing.
Please do refer to our ultimate packing checklist for your complete travel packing.
Top 5 Beach destinations of India
Goa without a doubt is the first choice . Being India’s party capital, Goa also hosts sunburn festival every year when a conglomerate of party mongers and DJs from all over the world get together at one of the chosen beaches. Christmas and new years time is when Goa energy is at its full potential. This is a place to swim, sun bath, sip beer and again to swimming 🙂 Do nothing but relax throughout the day. In the night enjoy parties, hypnotic music and dance which will add to your happiness quotient. Stay in north Goa for the buzz and in south Goa if you prefer less crowd and privacy. South Goa also has better properties.
- Andaman Nicobar Islands –
Natural beauty simply adds to the essence of beach vacation, shining white sand, beautiful bluish green waters, coral reefs and time that stands still. Head to Andaman , it promises rejuvenating holiday experience along with many sports like scuba diving, snorkeling, trekking, elephant rides etc.Its not just Goa where some people like us go every year, I have a friend who goes to Andaman almost every year for his annual vacation. You have direct flights from kolkata, Chennai and Vishakhapattnam for Andaman’s capital Port blair.
Famous for many reasons – Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Auroville, French architecture, Meditation and relaxation and ofcourse beach holidaying. If peace and a break is the most sough after, then Pondicherry, in south india is the beach destination you should head to. Its a unque blend of modern heritage and spirituality. Besides Pondicherry offers interesting Beach activities that incude camping at the beach, sunbathing, canoeing, kayaking and backwater sailing.
- Kovalam, Poovar near Trivendrum
Kerela offers best of both worlds – beaches as well as backwaters. Kovalam is the beach town by the arabian sea. Famous for its three adjacent beaches,it offers beach holiday along with Ayurveda wellness treatments. Besides, you can opt for any of the leisure activities like catamaran cruise or hire a surfboard to dive into the sea-waves.
I know couple of people who consider Om beach in Gokarna as their favorite .Gokarna, 190 kms down south of Goa is in Karnataka and offers peace and tranquility,non commercial atmosphere breaking away from Goa’s fast paced life. Popular beaches are Om Beach, Paradise Beach and Half-Moon Beach ,which have both fine sand and rocky coasts.